- It made me realize that I run junkprints as an outlet for the stuff I make. I don't make stuff for junkprints. Basically, the business follows the art, not the other way around, stuff gets real fowl when it goes the wrong way. Some of you hard core entrepreneur number crunching business folks may think that's crazy talk, but frankly my dear, I just don't give a damn. It's important that I create work that is valuable, if it's profitable then that's a plus. It's important to me that junkprints is driven by value. I've tried the profit model and the reality is that there are waaaaay better ways too make money then making stuff and for me, that's a hard reality to come to. Writing it sounds so simple, guess that's how lessons go.
- Got real with monies, and answered some questions like where do you REALLY see yourself in 5 years.
- Visited New Orleans for the first time
- Took my dad to Costa Rica,
- I took a real estate course, (just so I could see how things work, I'm this close to getting that building),
- Had my lil sister move in (and have been gently kicking her in the butt, yay she's in college and will not be in debt),
- Severed some ties with some close folks in my life and have also sent some really valuable time with some other close folks
- Taking hot yoga hard core consistently for over a year (thx @sacred).
- Sandy happened, what a mess
- Trayvon had his right to live taken from him, and a case made clear that the US court supports the notion that Black male Americans are threatening and it's ok to shoot them (and I don't want to talk about it on facebook).
- Been watching most of my friends breed like rabbits, babies everywhere! Amazing and strange
- Also, I've been graveling with social networks, personally, I don't really like them as 'social networks', but I love them for inspiration and as outlets for stuff created.
- All in all, I've been breathing, and being private
I'm always honored to rock with the Toofly, Circa95 crew. Just received the press release which means the pop up shop is officially on and Junkprints (aka me) will be there! See below for the deets.
LADIES LOVE PROJECT PRESENTS:
HOLIDAY 2012 POP UP SHOP! Shopping Event Showcases Brazen Art, Avant-Garde Fashion & Design at the University Settlement!
On Saturday, November 17, 2012, the LADIES LOVE PROJECT presents its 6th POP-UP SHOP at University Settlement 183 Eldridge St from 12pm – 10pm. The PROJECT, a brainchild of renowned street artist TOOFLY, sound sensation PattyDukes & Rephstar of the Circa95 duo and creative non-profit efficionado A.Mari, highlights some of NYC’s most creative underground artists and designers. The one-day-only event boasts an intimate, yet extraordinary colorful market shopping experience – designed to familiarize consumers, media and tastemakers with artists currently celebrating prominence.
Featured female market designers and artists include Toofly, Junkprints, Vanilla Medallions, Dominique Reneè, Shiro – as well as the fellas Marka27, Rebelution, Soh Nup Ink, and a host of others, will be exhibiting one of a kind, limited edition, handcrafted goods just in time for the holidays! Event music across all genres will be handled by RephStar and Dj Enygma. A live broadcast of the event will be streamed all day at www.Circa95.com and will include the first ever performance showcase by Brooklyn based rap sensation, and self-proclaimed “Mistress of Ceremonies,” Jasmine Solano. Complimentary empanadas, coquito, and cupcake treats will be served by Jenny Kinns Cupcakes, Mi Isla Coquito, and Martha’s Kitchen. Funky fresh ladies in the *new* LLP Lounge will be rocking make-up makeovers, dope nail art, and tarot card readings. This year the photo fun will continue with homegirls Sheena She on deck with event photography and Samantha Morales holding down the LLP Photobooth!
University Settlement, a celebrated art and community space located in the Lower East Side, plays host to the eclectic mix of prosperous and established talent. Art pieces on canvas, jewelry, t-shirts, graffiti, make-up, nails, live music—you name it— the LADIES LOVE PROJECT HOLIDAY POP-UP SHOP doesn’t get any more New York than this! “Having the LADIES LOVE PROJECT POP-UP SHOP in our space is a perfect fit,” says Alison Fleminger, Manager of University Settlement space. “All of the vendors have styles that honor old New York, but each demonstrates a unique progression with great, must-have niche items.” “We are ecstatic and honored to be partnering with such a NYC institution of Art! We, the LLP team and event participants, are enthused to be hosted in this inviting space – the pop up will be sure to kick the holiday off with LOVE!”