- It made me realize that I run junkprints as an outlet for the stuff I make. I don't make stuff for junkprints. Basically, the business follows the art, not the other way around, stuff gets real fowl when it goes the wrong way. Some of you hard core entrepreneur number crunching business folks may think that's crazy talk, but frankly my dear, I just don't give a damn. It's important that I create work that is valuable, if it's profitable then that's a plus. It's important to me that junkprints is driven by value. I've tried the profit model and the reality is that there are waaaaay better ways too make money then making stuff and for me, that's a hard reality to come to. Writing it sounds so simple, guess that's how lessons go.
- Got real with monies, and answered some questions like where do you REALLY see yourself in 5 years.
- Visited New Orleans for the first time
- Took my dad to Costa Rica,
- I took a real estate course, (just so I could see how things work, I'm this close to getting that building),
- Had my lil sister move in (and have been gently kicking her in the butt, yay she's in college and will not be in debt),
- Severed some ties with some close folks in my life and have also sent some really valuable time with some other close folks
- Taking hot yoga hard core consistently for over a year (thx @sacred).
- Sandy happened, what a mess
- Trayvon had his right to live taken from him, and a case made clear that the US court supports the notion that Black male Americans are threatening and it's ok to shoot them (and I don't want to talk about it on facebook).
- Been watching most of my friends breed like rabbits, babies everywhere! Amazing and strange
- Also, I've been graveling with social networks, personally, I don't really like them as 'social networks', but I love them for inspiration and as outlets for stuff created.
- All in all, I've been breathing, and being private
WHERE THE HELL IS THE NEW JUNK
Remember when I use to post a new item everyday? I do. It was crazy. I had this loft bed that I would work under. Coming up with designs on a daily, making like a crazy person. I miss making that way and am looking forward to creating with that type of vigor. Just so you know that loft bed has since been cut down (i no longer need a ladder o go to sleep) and the operation has moved from under it. The last year has been a bit of a grown folks bootcamp. I turned thirty years old and was was like, 'WTF I need to get my shit together, I haven't traveled the world, stabilized my biz nor figured out if I believe in money or not" Believe it or not within that confusion I discovered that I'm a pretty nifty soft goods stylists and have been working for People stylewatch, Elle, Moda Operadi and PVH, Calvin Klein. It's been a long time since I've listed new junk and shot pictures, I've been on the crazy grind and most of my time and energy has been spent doing editorial product styling, my name is floating on your local newsstands but my 'junk ideas, concepts, political commentary and sillyness' has been pretty much stuck in my head. The creative process is a funny one, if you don't get the ideas out you get mind constipation. That's what I'm dealing with right now. A dusty studio space and straight up mind constipation. Don't get me wrong, taking some time off has been a good thing for the following: